Monday, April 18, 2005

Tour of Homes

On Saturday I went on a Tour of Homes to benefit the Evansville Philharmonic. The tour focused on the Lincolnshire area of town. Most of the homes had the same style of Tudoresque architecture I think it was the interior design that really set the homes apart.
The tour also included St. Benedict's Cathedral and rectory as well as a high school and the Islamic center. I think the Islamic center was included mainly to help inform the community about what Muslims believe. I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that most Evansvillians are quite ignorant about the religion and are ok with that.
I was in a group with some older ladies who really tried to seem interested in what the guide was saying. He showed us the prayer positions and the Koran and which way Mecca was. He did say that if you prayed at the center you got "27 extra credit points as a Muslim for doing so." I think that was the amount of EC but it might've been some other unexpected number.
At first, I thought the number was supposed to be a joke to help us relate to the importance of praying with other Muslims. So I chuckled politely. In hindsight, I'm not sure if it was a joke though. No one else laughed.

No comments: