Friday, April 01, 2005

The Pope

I know why there is such sadness about the Pope dying. As a non-Catholic, I am saddened by others' grief, and wonder what His Holiness feels about nearing the end of his time on earth. I imagine that getting to be with God in the closest proximity possible would be extremely exciting. I also imagine that there would be a feeling of nervousness, after all he is aware of his humanity. I wonder if, being the Pope and all, the burden to communicate God's messages becomes frustrating.

When I first started thinking about this topic, the was no doubt that the Pope is closer to God than anyone else. But does being the spiritual leader of over 1 billion people automatically mean that? I'm sure many people would like to think that. The thought is very comforting, after all. Are there levels of being close to God that come with obedience and living according to His will?

When I think of spiritual leaders, I think of my Grandma and Pastor Randy. They seem to have a peace that surpasses understanding.

Something else I was thinking about was the gift of prophecy. I've never been taught about that subject. Is it a gift that one might have but would ignore unless you were raised in a Pentacostal church?
I got to thinking about this because of my Wednesday night visit to a Foursquare church. The guest speaker said he didn't believe that Mary was a virgin. But thats not part of church doctrine, according to foursquare.org

I'm kind of rambling, but its fun. :)

No comments: