Saturday, January 21, 2006

Catering

Today I worked a job honoring the managers of Toyota. There's going to be a new President of Toyota - North America and he met all of the catering crew. We had a large space to work in and the afternoon flew by. One of the workers was the daughter of the Main Caterer Lady and it was interesting to hear the conversations between the two 15/16 year olds. I remembered what it was like to be that age and to feel awkward and struggle for apathy in order to push the feelings of uncertainty and self-doubt away.

One of the topics at hand was the girl at the school dance who pushed her shirt up to her bra and her opposite, the girl who lacked rhythm and embarrassed those around her by trying to dance.

I'm pretty sure I would've made fun of these girls as well, worrying if I was at one extreme or the other. I also remembered how you couldn't just go up to a guy you liked and start making conversation ~ you had to have someone find out ~ if he was interested.
I don't know if life if harder now for those growing up than it was for me. I think a lot of the innocence is gone earlier.

No comments: