Sunday, March 16, 2008

Here I Am, Rock my Bracket like a Hurricane

Its March Madness! My favorite time, other than my birthday, and...Fridays, in that order. I love it because it sneaks up on you. After Valentine's Day (which, I'm sorry, is Hallmarktastic) a few months until Memorial Day and then approximately 35 days until my birthday, I don't have a lot to look forward to. Unless you count moving and no vacation until September.
And then, all of a sudden, there is Bracketology, conference tournaments and chances for thousands of dollars that you and I, quite frankly, have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. But just the games, the times when you can watch to see if your team or that Cinderella (Georgia, Drake and UMBC, in that order) can pull out a victory, are worth it.

It brings me back to the days when my mom and dad would post a wall-sized bracket on the closet door and fill it out as the games were played. We'd watch the Big 8, and now Big 12 tournament and cheer for KU every step of the way. So there is a certain amount of nostalgia and family ties that go into this.

All I'm going to say is this: If you have no idea who a team is, you've never watched their opponents and aren't even sure who their best player is, please do not put any money on this team. I don't even care of your best friend's uncle the bookie says to. Just don't. Its March Madness and anything can happen.

except if this team is Kansas. You should put all your money on Kansas.

No comments: