Thursday, March 13, 2008

Portmanteau


I guess i could say, "Its been awhile since I posted a word of the day" but instead I'm going to just post one without further discussion.

Portmanteau.
noun. plural: portmanteaux. A a word that fuses two or more words or word parts to give a combined or loaded new meaning.

I think my dad said this word to me. It seems familiar. He also taught me quite a few words throughout the course of casual conversation that I will maybe list here.

A portmanteau you might be familiar with: spork. Not a spoon. Not a fork. But something different. And when I got them from KFC, less useful.

I looked up the word blaxploitation, when it came up on Wikipedia regarding an ODB song. The song itself came from a movie of said genre.

Blaxploitation is an portmanteau of "black" and "exploitation" and refers to movies set in the early 1970s, usually in the ghetto and dealing with pimps, drug dealers, Afros and/or SHAFT.





No comments: