Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Being Healthy

A lot of peoples' New Year's resolutions have to do with getting more exercise. I usually do fairly well in that area, so I thought about what else I could do to be healthy.

1) Eat less processed food and sweets in general. I am purchasing whole turkeys instead of the roasted/preserved turkey for work, and every time I do this I remember to eat this way myself. Someday I hope we will be able to purchase "natural" ham but this isn't cost-effective right now.

I try to remember what desserts we serve that I like the best and eat only those, maybe one a week. I don't eat Dum-Dums anymore.

2) E's stepmom got us wheatgrass for the cats and they don't really like it...I remember having shots of it at Juice Stop and even though we have no juicer, i'm trying to have some 3 times a week. The health benefits are amazing. Every time I cut the wheat grass, I think of Treasa and her battle with cancer.

3) Supplements ~ I normally switch around, depending on whatever is on sale and I feel I am deficient in. Which isn't very healthy. So I'm sticking with hyaluronic acid tabs for my skin and quercetin, an antioxidant found to be very beneficial in preventing cancer. Both of these are have fairly clear benefits (as far as they can be, not being officially tested by the FDA) and the latter helps ease my mind because cancer runs in my family.

That is pretty much it...I love vegetables and could quite probably be deficient in protein if I didn't have someone around who loves steak and pork. =)

No comments: