Thursday, August 25, 2005

Put the ball in the hole

You know the Adam Sandler movie "Happy Gilmore"? There are some really classic quotes and today, one came to mind. Mostly because of the way I'm spending my time at work.
The Scene - Happy's Grandma is in a nursing home because her home was taken by the IRS. While Happy is trying to win golf tournaments to get her house back, she is forced to make quilts.

Nursing Home Orderly (Ben Stiller): Good news, everybody, we're extending arts and crafts time by four hours today.
Happy's Grandma: My fingers hurt.
Nursing Home Orderly: What's that?
Happy's Grandma: My fingers hurt.
Nursing Home Orderly: Oh, well, now your back's gonna hurt, 'cause you just pulled landscaping duty. Anybody else's fingers hurt?... I didn't think so.

For those of you that don't know, my arm is broken. And this is Candy-Gram week. Basically, employees pay a dollar to get a candy bar and a message sent through interoffice mail. It is an extremely popular fundraiser with hundreds of Skittles, Starbursts, 3 Musketeers, etc forming a wall within my cubicle.
The money goes to United Way, which makes the task somewhat worthwhile, but the repetitive motion of cutting and folding, stuffing and sealing is wearing on me. Just a few minutes ago, I fell off my chair while reaching for a package of Snickers. So I figure I probably feel like Happy's Grandma. But I could certainly deal if Ben Stiller was here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em - I am not sure why this broken arm is slowing you down. If Grandma Happy can do it so can you. Stop whining :)
JEm

Anonymous said...

It wasn't Happy's grandma, it was another anonymous elderly lady in the home. It might have even been the Mista Mista lady. Can't remember for sure.